Monday 16 May 2016

....and they're off!.... It's Copenhagen by a nose...........

It has been some time in coming but, at last, the Peninsular War Project has begun. I'm very excited at the prospect of getting a new period onto my table.

It has been several years since I last painted a British Peninsular War unit (for a client, I've never painted one for myself) so I thought I'd begin by doing a practice unit to get my eye in, so to speak. Consequently, this unit has taken several hours longer than most units will in the future because I've had to continually check things by looking them up in my books and via google. A recent purchase of note is British Napoleonic Uniforms by C.E. Franklin which has prints of just about every piece of equipment and weapon from several angles, not to mention a page of plates on the uniform for every British regiment - highly recommended. Unfortunately, it doesn't cover the uniforms of the KGL and hence the Google searches because, of course, that's exactly where I've started. 

My first three units will be the 1st, 2nd and 5th Battalions of the King's German Legion for Von Lowe's Brigade of 1st Division.

So here is the practice unit for the British: 1st Battalion KGL. 

It comprises 28 figures (Front Rank Figurines), including representative skirmishers. It is painted in Humbrol enamels and the flags are by Flags for the Lads (flags very kindly donated to the project by a reader).

I have chosen to base the unit, after much thought, on six bases, each 40 mm x 40 mm, because: 

  • Six stands seems to be optimal for representing formations on the table.
  • Because it will be best for French units in the future.
  • A unit frontage (in line) of 240 mm will allow both infantry (24 figures) and cavalry units (12 figures) to have the same frontage.

 The Basing system has its downsides for British infantry, in that two stands have to be used for 'over sized' flank companies, but I understand this is a frequently used compromise and will be hardly noticeable in play.

 I really like these new 'reinforcement pack' figures by Front Rank. The belts and lace are well defined and, the fudged lace pattern on the front of the jacket allows this usually difficult lace to be done with very clean lines with the minimum of time and effort: I applaud Alec for his forethought for the figure painter. 

Choosing to go down the pre-printed flag route, rather than hand painting my own, was a difficult decision. However, since discovering acrylic ink blocks (you use them like water paint blocks but they are indelible), painting away the white paper line with flag matching colour has become much, much easier. I use Inktense Blocks by Derwent in the basic box set of 12. Properly finished, I've become a convert and a big fan of pre-printed paper flags.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way this first unit came out. If you spot any glaring mistakes I'd appreciate the heads up.

Next up, 2nd and 5th Battalions KGL.

EDIT

I asked for glaring mistakes to be pointed out to me and one has been (by Rob Bresnen over at LAF). Over breakfast coffee, killing that hour between my son getting up and going to school, all was made right: I prized off the rear rank figures, corrected the mistake and glued the figures back again. 

MISTAKE: The backpacks of the KGL line battalions were painted dark blue (black for light battalions) and when the general order came, in 1808, to paint them black they ignored it.

This was a mistake I was happy to correct. Firstly, it was simple to correct; secondly it's a very nice KGL distinction.

13 comments:

Colin Ashton said...

Lurverley unit James! Like you need another period any more than I do! Go for it!

Steve J. said...

Superb start to your new project. I eagerly await more updates in the future:)

Oli said...

These look great James, I am looking forward to seeing this project develop.

Carlo said...

Wonderful looking unit James - the Peninsular is close to my own heart as well with my collection so I will look on with a keen interest.

Gonsalvo said...

They look fantastic! The odd British organization is a pain in the butt at times; I do 18 figure units (like my French, which works perfectly for them - 6 stands of three, 1 stand = 1 company)) with the British mounted 2 Grenadier and 2 light company figures set so they are on the right (grenadiers) or Left (lights) of a 3 figure stand. Close enough!

Yarkshire Gamer said...

Nice work James

AKI said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AKI said...

Those look marvellous. I use basically the same organisation for my Peninsular Brits, with the justification that field strengths were seldom close to theoretical formations, and then generously allow the Grenadiers and Light companies the highest strength - maintained at the cost of promotion from the ranks. Seems plausible to me....

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Superb...

Tony Miles said...

Not 100% sure with the KGL but did the light company have the light infantry shako plate or the standard line infantry plate the same as the rest of the battalion. This was the case with the British with only Light battalions and rifles having the hunting horn shako plate.
Great painting by the way, a good start.
I personally have the 3rd Division for 1809 painted with the 4th to come after finishing Pack's Independent Portuguese brigade.

Tony.

TamsinP said...

Beautiful work James :)

warpaintjj said...

Great start!
Any thoughts about dusty or sandy bases rather than the usual style?
Possibly just edge the bases in a different sandy shade...
I'm building armies for the Peninsular in 28mm too to run alongside our monstrous European theatre stuff, really enjoying it too.
Best of luck with this project,
Jeremy

David said...

A fine start there! Soon be finished at this rare ;~)