Tuesday 12 February 2013

Newly recruited Gendarme types

Someone once said that a wargamer could never have too many Landsknechts. Well the same goes for Gendarmes in my opinion. I have added another 6 units, each of 8 figures, to the 'heavy metal' pile. This week I painted half of them. This is a strange batch, in that it comprises several ebay purchases (hence only 5 barded horses in the mix instead of 8) rather than a chosen mix, but there is still enough variation to make them look irregularly dressed.

To speed up the painting I have not been over ambitious in the 'design' of dress. No vines and flowers in this batch, I'm afraid, just simple geometric designs. But, they look good enough for me.

Also, there is only one standard bearer. He was a spare from the re-basing of the collection. In the next batch of three units, I'll do 5 standard bearers - thus giving one for each new unit.

All figures are Foundry, but lances are by TAG. All were painted by me in Humbrol enamels, though the highlights on the metal bits is Vallejo (because Humbrol bright silver, is no longer bright!)

Anyway, here are the new additions. They still require some groundwork on the basing (as usual, LOL).








15 comments:

Neil Scott said...

Excellent painting. Can't wait to see them based up

Willie Anderson said...

Look great James!

Phil said...

Wonderful Gendarmes, very colorful!
Phil.

JAMES ROACH said...

Glad you like them Willie, I intend to paint yours in a similar manner - I just hope the bill doesn't kill you before you sign the cheque! (LOL)

BigRedBat said...

Cor; lovely paint job, James!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, they're exquisite!

MiniWargamer said...

As always, lovely stuff. Is the floor of your home shored up yet to compensate for all the lead/pewter? ;-)

MiniWargamer said...

Lovely stuff as always. Is the floor in your home shored up sufficiently to handle the pewter/ lead piles? ;-)

Unknown said...

I just love them, even though they're less ornemented ;)

Ubique Matt said...

Fantastic looking figures.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

For this period the old Foundry mercenary/Gendarme cavalry are still the best sculpts on the market IMHO and you continue to do a superb job on them.

Christopher

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Gendarmes, what do you think of Eureka's French ones? Also, have you tried playing with the Perry Plastic men at arms for the earlier period?

Gonsalvo said...

They look fantastic, James!

JAMES ROACH said...

Rob,

I like the Eureka Gendarmerie very much, but I think they are pricey. But, as they are hard to obtain elsewhere, I am thinking of using Eureka for 'Archer' cavalry - we will see what TAG come up with.

I have looked at the Perry stuff. I might use their Italian Light Infantry pack for S&B Italian infantry for up to 1500ish. But, most of it is too early and I don't like plastic (it's too light).

Milo Burgh said...

James, try Tamiya´s silver enamel. I think is better than Humbrol´s. Its gold enamel is very nice too.